Monday, April 29, 2013

Speak and thorny issues well treated

Lately it seems like the subject keeps coming up to me. A chance Rape culture article, an awful book. Speak calling to me from the huge To-Be-Read pile, (now over 700 books, more than I can read in a lifetime) and popping repeatedly in my Goodreads feed.

I had a free afternoon (not so much, but I was tired from work and didn't feel like spending it building a scale model for the uni).

The books was all I could want about the issue and more. If the movie and the media hadn't spoiled me, it would have been so much better. Because it starts oh so softly. With a very closeted, lonely character. And teen snarky commentary about high-school life that actually made me smile and outright laugh.

Short chapters paint the picture fast and from the side. Like a sketch, or a kid telling you something important trying not to let it be noticed that it's important. It's real and a little bit heartbreaking. The issue is foreshadowed for a while but not quite mentioned. Until it is. But everything is connected, because you realize it's always there in her mind. And things keep coming back to it.

It's... Really, it's perfect for the subject, and the audience that should be recommended to. It's tasteful. No gain from shock value here. It's well written in it's simplicity's glory. It's honest. It's hopeful.

No comments: